[WIP] Remove confusing --use-xattrs option from samba-tool domain provision

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Mon Sep 5 17:05:37 UTC 2016

On Mon, Sep 05, 2016 at 09:00:23AM +0100, Rowland Penny wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Sep 2016 09:35:32 +0200
> Stefan Metzmacher <metze at samba.org> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > > I did a little more digging and I think all that is really required
> > > is: Add a switch to the provision command, something like
> > > '--use-zfs' if this is set, don't do the simple acl check.
> > > when creating smb.conf add the zfsacl lines
> > > and hopefully this will do the job, but there will probably be other
> > > things to do, only time will tell.
> >
> > maybe a generic --additional-sysvol-vfs-modules=zfsacl option would be
> > better, that way it's not limited to zfs.
> >
> > metze
> >

> Confused now, do you mean 'zfsacl' can be used with file systems
> other than ZFS ? if so, why is it called 'zfsacl' ?
>
> Or do you mean '--additional-sysvol-vfs-modules=X' , where 'X' is a vfs
> module ? If you do mean this, then I do not agree, nobody will want to
> type that. How about 'use-vfs=X'.

Let's have both :-). How about a '--additional-sysvol-vfs-modules=X'
but a '--use-zfs' which maps into '--additional-sysvol-vfs-modules=zfsacl'.

Rowland is right in that no one will understand or want to type that,
and metze is right in that making it more generic is flexible.

But let's be honest, zfs is a widely used mapping and making it easy
to use would be good for Samba4-AD adoption.