s3:rpcclient add -m option (Re: [SCM] Samba Shared Repository - branch master updated)

Christian Ambach ambi at samba.org
Fri May 20 20:39:43 UTC 2016

>> But might it be easier on the users to add an additional patch
>> > that makes '-m' on the rpcclient command line set 'client ipc max protocol' ?
>> > smbclient and smbcacls both use -m to set the max protocol - with rpcclient
>> > we could just change the ipc max protocol instead.
> I'd try to avoid new options if possible and unlike the smb* commands it
> really doesn't matter
> much for an admin. I don't see a non-developer usecase for changing the
> default.
>
> Christian what was the purpose for adding this option?

I had no particular usecase in mind. I was just wondering why this tool
does not offer the -m option that the other tools like smbclient have,
so I just added it. If this is of no real use for RPC connections, then
let us improve/correct it.
But I do not think that this is a pure developer tool. Google for "Samba
rpcclient" and you will find lots of pages talking about how it can be
used for various purposes. We should not have given it a manpage if it
was just for our own use.
So -m is what users might be used too, if it should better fumble around
on a different config settings compared to other tools, let's fix it.

Cheers,
Christian