While I can use net ads dns register in the self test environment, the new addresses seem to silently fade away ...

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sat May 14 10:14:48 UTC 2016

On Wed, 2016-05-11 at 19:45 -0700, Richard Sharpe wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Now that net ads dns gethostbyname is working for me and I have
> submitted the changes to the socket wrapper library to support this,
> want to take the next steps in writing self tests around the DNS
> functionality.
>
> What I notice is that while net ads dns register <name> <address>
> appears to work you cannot actually look up the new name.
>
> Where should I look to start fixing that problem?

The internal DNS server is in source4/dns_server.

Also keep in touch with Garming - we at Catalyst are looking at DNS
registration issues for a client, and your work so far will make a
massive difference to being able to test the result.

Hopefully together we can sort out what is going on here, with bug
 11520 and for our client at the same time.