travis ci and github

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Mar 24 19:07:10 UTC 2016

On Thu, 2016-03-24 at 15:37 +0100, Michael Adam wrote:

> How does this (building via travis) relate as the plus side
> to the minus side (which is, I assume, that CPU is not cheap,
> especially on our autobuild-push-gate)?

Travis CI has a 40min time limit, per task.  That was the motivation
for the extra make -j invocations - you would be shocked how long samba
-static was taking, given it 'just' built samba.

> Sorry, but I am confused... :-)
>
> Furthermore: About the travis thing: this is something that
> completely went below my radar up to now. Is this documented
> somewhere? At least for the team?

I mentioned it on the list, there wasn't much interest however.

With the .travis.yml in the git repo, when you raise a pull request, it
is compiled and tested via travis.  Currently the main test doesn't run
(not even a quicktest, as even that isn't quick)

You can also test your own trees, if you register your github repo with
travis-ci.org.