[samba as AD] How to --dns-backend=NONE

mathias dufresne infractory at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 14:50:18 UTC 2016

Hi all,

How to configure Samba4 as AD DC joined with --dns-backend=NONE for that DC
is able to push DNS updates into the database?

I expect the main work is related to serviceprincipalName and keytab
creation / usage. But I'm lost there.

Builtin group named dnsAdmins is meant to facilitate DNS updates when these
updates are related to root DNS zone. When pushing updates for _msdcs zone
with such user result to update is "refused".

Adding rights for dnsAdmins in security tab of _msdcs zone do not fully
solve the issue: doing that modification is granted but only when updates
are pushed on local DNS server when we want to update remote DNS server
(because dns-backend=NONE -> no more DNS running locally...).

I have already asked about that on samba-user without success, that's why
I'm back here, hoping you could bring some light here.

Best regards,

Mathias Dufresne