Samba 4.3.1 and messaging

Mon Oct 26 14:38:00 UTC 2015

On Mon, Oct 26, 2015 at 03:30:45PM +0100, Thomas Bork wrote:
> Am 26.10.2015 um 15:03 schrieb Volker Lendecke:
>
> >Is that your normal way to operate Samba? I did not see this scenario. I
> >have code that will convert this to a different messaging model, which
> >should then also cover restarting Samba every 3 seconds without spilling
> >files. In the current incarnation of Samba this use case WILL spill files,
> >I think it will take a few months before I can present the fixed tmond
> >streams based code. You should probably go back to 4.0 or so to make
> >Samba work better in this test.
>
> No Volker,
>
> this is not my normal way to operate samba. This was only a test
> case for a better demonstration here for my question after I saw,
> that in my tests with tdbbackup in the samba init script and
> frequent restart sockets were not cleaned up.
>
> >Normally Samba cleans up every 15 minutes. If you restart Samba every 3
> >seconds, this will never kick in. Please set
> >messaging : messaging dgm cleanup interval = 1
> >in your [global] section to make Samba wipe old sockets every second to
> >cover your, admittedly a bit strange, use case.
>
> Is it safe to clean up /etc/msg.sock/ and /run/lock/samba/msg.lock/
> on samba start?

If you only restart smbd and leave winbind running, then no,
it is not safe. If you make sure that no Samba component is
still running then yes, it is safe.

But on the other hand, it should never be necessary to clean
this up. We have code that will auto-cleanup those
directories. If you have stale files there after the cleanup
interval (see above), this is a bug that needs fixing.

With best regards,

Volker Lendecke

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de, mailto:kontakt at sernet.de

Besuchen Sie uns vom 10.-11.11.15 auf der ISSE!
Information Security Solutions Europe Conference
Hotel Palace Berlin, 20%-Rabattcode: "ISSE15SP"

Meet us at Information Security Conference ISSE!
November 10th - 11th 2015 in Hotel Palace Berlin
For 20% discount take voucher code:  "ISSE15SP"