Intermittent failure to authenticate using NTLM with NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

Stefan Metzmacher metze at samba.org
Thu Nov 12 13:21:26 UTC 2015

Hi Richard,

>>> Yep - getting  ACCESS_DENIED should certainly trigger adding
>>> the DC to the negative connection cache.
>>
>> But not an the first failure!
>
> Hmmm, why not. If it is returning ACCESS_DENIED either someone has
> changed the machine account password without telling us or that DC
> does not like NTLM passthrough ...

I'd assume that we need to distinguish between ACCESS_DENIED in response
to a netr_ServerAuthenticate*() where we could be rejected because
of a changed machine password (verify unlikely to happen) and other calls.

If other calls return ACCESS_DENIED (which can happen if the dc restarts)
we need to destroy the connection and netlogon_creds_cli.tdb entry and
reauthenticate.

The question is which request returns ACCESS_DENIED in the situation
where the DC rejects NTLM authentication.

Do we have a capture and level 10 logs?

metze