Simple tasks to start on Samba development with

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed May 6 16:08:18 MDT 2015

I've been thinking over the challenge of starting in Samba, as I
continue to mentor new developers at Catalyst, like Douglas and Adrain,
who you will soon see more of.

So, I thought to start a thread with some ideas, which I will put into
the wiki if they don't get picked up in short term.  These tasks are not
(too) hard, but should introduce aspects of Samba and help clean things
up.

Patches for these issues would be most gratefully reviewed.

 - Find and remove the 'binary_mapping' concept from our build system.
The history here is that we used to have two build systems, and
DIFFERENT NAMES for the same binary.  We are glad to be past that
insanity, but the code to handle that is still in place.  It needs to be
removed.  'git grep -i binary.mapping' would be a good place to start.

 - Update install_with_python.sh to be safer.  The script downloads a
specific (old) python version from samba.org, but without checking that
the checksum (preferably a SHA256 sum these days) matches.  As an
extension task, make it cope with older systems that may only have
md5sum, and use that.

I'll reply with more as I think of them.