What a smbc_new_context timeout does and is there a way to change it?

Vladimir Marek Vladimir.Marek at oracle.com
Mon Dec 21 14:54:48 UTC 2015

Vlad> a) what is this timeout doing? I have suspicion that it's related
Vlad> to network operations and since customer is transferring huge
Vlad> amounts of data the network might be saturated.

Jeremy> Yes, it times out the connection after that number of msec.

Vlad> b) Is there a way to modify this timeout without touching the
Vlad> code, ie. from configuration file? I haven't been able to find a
Vlad> way - I believe it's set to be 20 seconds.

Jeremy> No, you'll need to modify the code.

Vlad> c) If we accept that the way to fix the problem is to increase the
Vlad> timeout, what would be the preferred way to do it? Just increase
Vlad> the number? Make it configurable? I don't know how difficult is to
Vlad> add configuration variable.

Jeremy> I would add a command line parameter, say '-t timeout' (in
Jeremy> seconds) to smbget, then just pass that into smbc_setTimeout().

Thank you Jeremy (and others) for your comments. Additional parameter
sounds perfect. I'll make the fix, file a bug and attach a patch if
anyone will be interested (not that it would be a rocket science). It
will happen after Christmas though.

--
	Vlad