Trying again at using the python samba_kcc

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Apr 13 22:41:32 MDT 2015

On Thu, 2015-04-02 at 18:21 +1300, Douglas Bagnall wrote:
> hi all,
>
> I am newly employed at Catalyst IT to work on Samba with Andrew
> Bartlett and Garming Sam.
>
> Garming and I have been working on the AD Knowledge Consistency
> Checker (KCC) that Dave Craft and Jelmer Vernooij started in 2011.
>
> We've been following MS-ADTS 6.2.x and testing against a clone of a
> Windows network, the two of which do not always agree.
>
> We have found it somewhat useful to get the samba_kcc tool to produce
> Graphviz dot graphs.
>
> Our current code is at
>
> http://git.catalyst.net.nz/gitweb?p=samba.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/head/kcc-intersite-8
>
> At this stage we are certainly *not* asking for review&push. This is
> just an introductory email, forewarning you of our work.

Thanks Douglas.  Indeed this is a very important task to get Samba
performing better in large networks.

Jelmer,

Can you look over this updated branch:
http://git.catalyst.net.nz/gitweb?p=samba.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/head/kcc-intersite-10

Like some of the other things we have talked about recently, this is a
large patch, worked on primarily by few folks (both in the past and
now), but which for external reasons we really need to switch to.

That makes it awkward, and in retrospect I wish we hadn't been quite so
self-contained as we spun up work on this, but this is where we are.
Can you help us with some feedback on some of the style and practical
python matters that would get in the way of using that?

Kamen and Matthieu,

You both did work trying to get this script into shape and into use,
before the mammoth size of the task was uncovered.  What thoughts do you
have on this effort?  What can we do to help get this merged for 4.3?

Thanks!

http://samba.org/~abartlet/