HyperV and Samba

Partha Sarathi parthasarathi.bl at gmail.com
Sun Apr 12 11:36:07 MDT 2015

Hi,

Even I tried creating a CIFS share against samba 4.2. server from HyperV
command prompt as suggested in Jose's presentation. But it failed as below,

PS Y:\> New-SmbShare -Name VMS -Path y:\VMS -FullAccess
 Demosp\administrator
*New-SmbShare : The device or directory does not exist.*
At line:1 char:1
+ New-SmbShare -Name VMS -Path y:\VMS -FullAccess Demosp\administrator
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified:
(MSFT_SMBShare:ROOT/Microsoft/Wind
   ows/SMB/MSFT_SMBShare) [New-SmbShare], CimException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Windows System Error 2116,New-SmbShare

I collected the packets but there were no requests against samba server
when I performed the above operation. Looks like HyperV is not considering
SAMBA 4.2 as file server.

Regards,
--Partha

--