Multi DC domain issues

Chris Alavoine chrisa at acs-info.co.uk
Tue Sep 23 05:18:09 MDT 2014

Hi all,

I am running 4.1.5 with 5 DC's connected globally.

I am using Ubuntu 12.04.

My main FSMO roles DC appears to be corrupt and I'm worried that the
meta-data is somehow out of sync.

Can some suggest a good plan of action to replace this DC? My other 4 DC's
appear to be in good shape although one of them refuses to update any DNS
changes. All other replication appears to be ok. The main FSMO DC is
currently working although DNS fails from time to time. The whole domain
feels very unstable and I'm unable to add any new DNS entries (error: "The
local security authority database contains an internal inconsistency")

I am currently building a replacement in the same Site as I've found that
trying to join a new DC I need to specify another DC in the same
subnet/Site for the join to work, i.e:

/usr/local/samba/bin/samba-tool domain join example.com DC -UAdministrator
--realm=example.com --server=DC1 --site=LON

Once I've created this replacement in the same site I will try and transfer
(or seize) the FSMO roles.

If that works then I will remove and then recreate the main DC on the same
IP (lots of stuff points to this IP so I need to retain it).

Once that is done I shall transfer the FSMO roles back the original DC.

Does this sound like a reasonable approach?

Thanks,
Chris.

--
ACS (Alavoine Computer Services Ltd)