Multi DC domain issues

Chris Alavoine chrisa at acs-info.co.uk
Tue Sep 23 06:58:56 MDT 2014

Some extra info.

When I try a join (via a working DC) I get this:

Partition[DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=essence,DC=internal,DC=com]
objects[63919/322492] linked_values[0/0]
Partition[DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=essence,DC=internal,DC=com]
objects[64321/322492] linked_values[0/0]
Partition[DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=essence,DC=internal,DC=com]
objects[64723/322492] linked_values[0/0]
Partition[DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=essence,DC=internal,DC=com]
objects[65125/322492] linked_values[0/0]

As you can see there are 322492 objects in DomainDnsZones which takes a
long time to complete. Have checked here:

/usr/local/samba/private/sam.ldb.d/

And this is the contents:

/usr/local/samba/private/sam.ldb.d# ls -ltrh
total 4.1G
-rw-r----- 1 root root 812K Sep 23 08:38 metadata.tdb
-rw------- 1 root root  10M Sep 23 08:44
CN=CONFIGURATION,DC=EXAMPLE,DC=INTERNAL,DC=COM.ldb
-rw------- 1 root root 4.1M Sep 23 08:48
DC=FORESTDNSZONES,DC=EXAMPLE,DC=INTERNAL,DC=COM.ldb
-rw------- 1 root root 4.0G Sep 23 08:50
DC=DOMAINDNSZONES,DC=EXAMPLE,DC=INTERNAL,DC=COM.ldb
-rw------- 1 root root  10M Sep 23 08:50
CN=SCHEMA,CN=CONFIGURATION,DC=EXAMPLE,DC=INTERNAL,DC=COM.ldb
-rw------- 1 root root  38M Sep 23 08:51 DC=EXAMPLE,DC=INTERNAL,DC=COM.ldb

On my broken FSMO DC this is the same folder:

/usr/local/samba/private/sam.ldb.d# ls -ltrh
total 3.1G
-rw-r----- 1 root root 412K Sep 23 13:00 metadata.tdb
-rw------- 1 root root  16M Sep 23 13:03
CN=CONFIGURATION,DC=EXAMPLE,DC=INTERNAL,DC=COM.ldb
-rw------- 1 root root 4.1M Sep 23 13:48
DC=FORESTDNSZONES,DC=EXAMPLE,DC=INTERNAL,DC=COM.ldb
-rw------- 1 root root  10M Sep 23 13:50
CN=SCHEMA,CN=CONFIGURATION,DC=EXAMPLE,DC=INTERNAL,DC=COM.ldb
-rw------- 1 root root  86M Sep 23 13:50 DC=EXAMPLE,DC=INTERNAL,DC=COM.ldb
-rw------- 1 root root 3.0G Sep 23 13:50
DC=DOMAINDNSZONES,DC=EXAMPLE,DC=INTERNAL,DC=COM.ldb

Also, when I try and join another DC via the FSMO DC there are only 88,000
objects in DomainDnsZones.

I know that I don't have that many entries in my DNS, is there any way I
can reduce the overhead on this? Safely?

So far all my attempts at joining a new DC have failed with a python error
after the DomainDnzZones objects have finished syncing.

Thanks,
Chris.