DNS updates using nsupdate are not working!

Andreas Schneider asn at samba.org
Fri Sep 12 02:40:47 MDT 2014

Hello,

I'm trying to get samba_dnsupdate working but I can't. Nobody has time to
explain me how the DNS stuff works. So now I'm moving the ball to you!

It looks like the SOA record in the DNS server is wrong! The 'nsupdate'
command from bind-utils 9.9.5 is not able to update records cause querying the
SOA record returns a result nsupdate isn't able to parse.

Reproducer:

1. Get socket_wrapper from:
   http://git.cryptomilk.org/projects/socket_wrapper.git/log/?h=fix
   (This implements fnctl(fd, F_DUPFD, ...) needed by nsupdate)
2. Compile and install it, see README.install
   (mkdir mybuilddir
	 cd mybuildir
    cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr -DLIB_SUFFIX=64 /path/to/source)
3. Compile Samba master git tree
4. Run 'make testenv SAMBA_OPTIONS=-d10'
5. Call 'SOCKET_WRAPPER_PCAP_FILE=nsupdate.pcap nsupdate -g'

   server 127.0.0.21
   update add wurst.samba.example.com. 900 AAAA fd00::5357:5f20
   show
   send

You can inspect server logs and the pcap file now and see it yourself!

Regards,

	-- andreas

--
Andreas Schneider                   GPG-ID: CC014E3D
Samba Team                             asn at samba.org
www.samba.org