DNS updates using nsupdate are not working!

Rowland Penny repenny241155 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 05:09:36 MDT 2014

On 12/09/14 09:40, Andreas Schneider wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to get samba_dnsupdate working but I can't. Nobody has time to
> explain me how the DNS stuff works. So now I'm moving the ball to you!
>
> It looks like the SOA record in the DNS server is wrong! The 'nsupdate'
> command from bind-utils 9.9.5 is not able to update records cause querying the
> SOA record returns a result nsupdate isn't able to parse.
>
> Reproducer:
>
> 1. Get socket_wrapper from:
>     http://git.cryptomilk.org/projects/socket_wrapper.git/log/?h=fix
>     (This implements fnctl(fd, F_DUPFD, ...) needed by nsupdate)
> 2. Compile and install it, see README.install
>     (mkdir mybuilddir
> 	 cd mybuildir
>      cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr -DLIB_SUFFIX=64 /path/to/source)
> 3. Compile Samba master git tree
> 4. Run 'make testenv SAMBA_OPTIONS=-d10'
> 5. Call 'SOCKET_WRAPPER_PCAP_FILE=nsupdate.pcap nsupdate -g'
>
>     server 127.0.0.21
>     update add wurst.samba.example.com. 900 AAAA fd00::5357:5f20
>     show
>     send
>
> You can inspect server logs and the pcap file now and see it yourself!
>

> Regards,
>

> 	-- andreas

This seems really strange posting this in reply to a post from one of
the samba devs, but I run a Samba4 AD DC on Debian 7.5 with bind9.9.5
and I have no problem in using nsupdate to update the DNS records. What
I did notice and it is probably a typo, is that your server is
127.0.0.21 not 127.0.0.1

I don't use ipv6 so this may be your problem, does the update work for
ipv4 addresses ?

Rowland