[RFC] Strategies for CTDB integration into Samba

Michael Adam obnox at samba.org
Wed Oct 29 01:41:31 MDT 2014

On 2014-10-27 at 16:13 +1100, Martin Schwenke wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Oct 2014 15:23:37 +0200, Michael Adam <obnox at samba.org>
> wrote:
>
> Amitay writing a longer response, so I won't go into details of other
> stuff, but...  :-)
>
> > The question is now: Where do we want to go?
>
> > [...]
>
> > - to disable the standalone build of ctdb.
>
> I like the fact that after a "make clean" (and with ccache installed)
> it take 15 seconds to build CTDB.  That helps me to be productive.  I
> would like to keep it.

In the quick development cycle, you should not need to run
"make clean". So if you only changed ctdb, the top level build
should be similarly fast.

> I often build versions of CTDB that will never be used with
> Samba. If I want to run the CTDB test suite then I don't need to build
> everything.

This shows anothe TODO: There should be a a way to run the
ctdb testsuite from the top level build, like triggered from
samba's selftest or so.

I'd still like to stick to the long term goal to remove
the ctdb standalone build.

Cheers - Michael