[RFC] Strategies for CTDB integration into Samba

Martin Schwenke martin at meltin.net
Sun Oct 26 23:13:26 MDT 2014

On Fri, 24 Oct 2014 15:23:37 +0200, Michael Adam <obnox at samba.org>
wrote:

Amitay writing a longer response, so I won't go into details of other
stuff, but...  :-)

> The question is now: Where do we want to go?

> [...]

> - to disable the standalone build of ctdb.

I like the fact that after a "make clean" (and with ccache installed)
it take 15 seconds to build CTDB.  That helps me to be productive.  I
would like to keep it.

I often build versions of CTDB that will never be used with
Samba.  If I want to run the CTDB test suite then I don't need to build
everything.

2 things that need to go away in the medium term:

* The charset_compat.h hack.  Testing standalone CTDB might not find
  bugs that are in the real CTDB (from a combined build).

* Duplicate struct server_id.  I guess we need yet another subsystem
  where we build the common stuff.

  There's a PIDL/NDR/XDR discussion to be had but that is probably for
  another day...  :-)

peace & happiness,
martin