new messaging subsystem

Tue Oct 7 02:31:58 MDT 2014

On Tue, Oct 07, 2014 at 09:27:02PM +1300, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Tue, 2014-10-07 at 09:56 +0200, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 07, 2014 at 07:19:36AM +1300, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > > Looking over them quickly, I did want to re-assure you that putting the
> > > messaging sockets in the lock directory is quite reasonable, as I see
> > > it, because like other lock files, they may/should be removed by the OS
> > > on reboot.  Perhaps put both the privileged and public sockets under the
> > > lock dir?
> >
> > Can you describe what you mean by "public sockets"? For
> > smbds, the messaging subsystem is trusted, only root should
> > be able to send messages. Is this different for the samba
> > binary?
>
> I just noticed that you had something under private, some under lock and
> assumed (incorrectly) you were planning/using some public/private split.
> The existing s4 system is all privileged as far as I'm aware, and I
> think both should stay that way.

The public piece is for the lockfiles. Everybody should be
able to check for a process' existence, that's at least my
assumption. I have a separate unfinished patchset that
removes serverid.tdb, replacing it with a lookup in the
messaging lock directory. The sockets are all private. Sorry
if this is not clear from the patchset.

Volker

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de, mailto:kontakt at sernet.de