Samba 4.2?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri May 30 03:03:19 MDT 2014

On Mon, 2014-05-26 at 12:58 +0200, Karolin Seeger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, May 26, 2014 at 12:13:18PM +1200, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > I presume this was discussed at SambaXP, and I know I've seen a number
> > of Jeremy's 'must have' features committed recently, so where are we at
> > with Samba 4.2?
>
> same question here. Can we branch now and plan to release in 3 month from
> now?

I think we should.  There will always be another feature just over the
horizon, but a feature rushed for 4.2 isn't a good feature to have in
4.2.

For example, imagine if suddenly there was interest in the winbindd for
the AD DC, and we rushed that in, it wouldn't get the attention and time
it really needs to be a mature default anyway.

There feels like a stagnation in Samba development of late, and so I
really don't see how waiting even longer helps our users - at least let
them use the changes we have made so far.

Thanks,