samba as AD DC - can the single process mode "-M single" atm still been used ?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed May 28 16:00:39 MDT 2014

On Wed, 2014-05-28 at 23:05 +0200, Günter Kukkukk wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> do i remember correctly, that there have been posts or IRC comments around,
> that the AD DC single process mode should *not* be used at the moment?
>
> In the past i often was starting samba as
>    samba -i -M single -d3
> and i also asked other users on IRC or via email to do the same during testings.
>
> Sure, one can also start samba in multi-process mode and watch the log(s) via
>   tail -f .../var/log.samba
> but how about gdb debugging?
>
> Can someone please shed some light into this? :-)

Yes, it is still meant to work ans is tested in make test.

However, it isn't likely to work with the internal DNS server if there
is ever a blocking DNS lookup.  We shouldn't do that (we should always
us the async code), but this is the main concern I would have.

(When the single mode server was first done, the DNS was always
external, so it didn't matter previously).

We could either find the code that needs to be fixed, or force the dns
task to operate as a separate task.

http://samba.org/~abartlet/