[Review Request] libwbclient-sssd

Michael Adam obnox at samba.org
Sat May 17 03:19:05 MDT 2014

Hi Sumit,

It is a good move to make sssd a server for the
libwbclient API.

As Andrew said, this API is not optimal and we should
consider extending and changing it in the future, i.e.
get provide a "next version" of the API.

But since this is what we have right now, it is
absolutely correct to attach sssd to it.

Now, regarding your request to include the libwbclient-sssd
library into the samba code tree:
I think this is wrong: a libwbclient-implementation belongs
to the sever for which is written as an interface, not tho
the consumer(s).
I.e. samba's libwbclient belongs to winbindd, and the libwbclient-ssd
belongs to sssd. (I.e. if we would ever split winbindd out into a
separate code tree, then the libwbclinent belongs into that tree
not into the file server...)

That being said, there is of course the problem of testing.
We would actually need an "official" test suite for libwbclient
that fixes the api and semantics. This test suite would belong to
a libwbclient-devel package and can then be used by any
server+libwbclient implementation to test the implementation.
Of course we don't have it, but it would be the right thing to
do imho.

Cheers - Michael