Interested in contributing to Samba through the GSoC

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Mar 18 13:02:15 MDT 2014

On Mon, 2014-03-17 at 10:54 +0530, AMiT wrote:
> [...]

Python would be critical, see as an example how the password lockout
code is tested with python in the patch series I published recently:

https://git.samba.org/abartlet/samba.git/?p=abartlet/samba.git/.git;a=commitdiff;h=8f8c56338225984782288f8db3bfabdbcddcef4d

This is the "This project of course includes the development of unit
tests." element of the task.

> *Current Status: Researching on the Idea, Reading Documentation, Exploring
> Samba & LDAP.*
>
> I am pretty much enthusiastic to work for this Samba Project as it seems
> Interesting to me.
> "Implement login / logout related counter update"
> *(Though I have not finished up with my Research)*
>
> The Moment I saw Programming Language Required is C, this doubled up my
> adrenaline rush, to be a part of Samba as a Open Source Developer.
> I have gone through the wiki page of Samba GSoC & I could make out that,
> the most preferred language of Samba is 'C'.
> So, that's enough for me (technically) to contribute.

I look forward to seeing your application, but I would also suggest that
if you don't yet program in python, that you would need to particularly
clearly describe how you expect to handle the unit testing side of this,
and may wish to apply to another project that does not have this
requirement.

Please also include examples of your work in C, a description of the
LDAP attributes that would be involved and links the the relevant
elements in the WSPP documentation.

Thanks,