Interested in contributing to Samba through the GSoC

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sat Mar 15 20:18:05 MDT 2014

On Sun, 2014-03-16 at 00:58 +0000, Marta Sequeira wrote:
> I'm going to follow your suggestion and do some research about this,
> although I don't know if I can adventure with the tasks you described
> as being HARD because it seems like there's a lot of work involved
> and, as I said, I'm not familiar with the AD implementation on Samba,
> so I fear I cannot finish the task on time.

OK.  It is good that you have a measure of your own capabilities here,
it speaks well for a successful summer.

> The second task ("importing a domain from 'Samba3' (the
> classicupgrade) should import more LDAP attributes, and allow ongoing
> migration") caught my eye, I will probably begin by researching for
> that one.

I agree, that is a good choice.  It primarily involves Samba/Samba
interfaces, which can be understood without needing to deal with the
network protocols in depth, and would be a very valuable aid to our
users.  It is also self-contained, and unlikely to be either in the way
or disturbed by other ongoing development work.

The 'ongoing migration' thing is wanted by organisations with multi-site
Samba 3.x domains, which they are happy to call a flag day on, only for
one site at a time.  User and machine passwords may keep changing while
this happens.

An important part of that task will be an extensive test suite, testing
the match of expected inputs for outputs, and finding a way (either by
running slapd or rigging up our internal LDAP server to host 'samba3'
data) to test LDAP sources.

If these elements are successful, a second part of that task will be to
allow migration of the full key data from Heimdal Kerberos realms (often
Heimdal is mixed with Samba 3.x and OpenLDAP) and MIT Kerberos realms,
such as Apple's OpenDirectory hosts.

I hope this isn't too many hints, and I look forward to seeing what you
find in your research and then put into your proposal!