[Review Request] libwbclient-sssd

Michael Adam obnox at samba.org
Thu Jun 19 02:35:48 MDT 2014

On 2014-06-18 at 09:51 -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 05:41:55PM +0200, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 05:25:59PM +0200, Michael Adam wrote:
> > > I think that it is conceptually wrong to have the sssd wbclient
> > > library not with the sssd server (where it belongs) but in samba code.
> >
> > Looking back at why Gerald did libwbclient, I have to agree
> > with Michael. There are other libwbclient implementations
> > out there, living together with their respective server
> > implementations. What makes sssd different in this regard?
>
> I think it would be better for Samba long term to have
> a closer and more co-operative relationship with sssd.
>
> The other libwbclient implementations are closed source,
> sssd is a natural partner for Samba.

Absolutely!

This is discussion is by no means meant to be hostile
or un-co-operative. It is about what is conceptually
and technically the best thing to do.

I also want to bring to memory the very constructive
discussion about the samba/winbind/sssd ecosystem we
had at sambaXP. (Which reminds me that I could share
the pictures I have taken of the flip charts...)

Cheers - MIchael