[Review Request] libwbclient-sssd

Thu Jun 19 03:17:57 MDT 2014

On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 09:51:28AM -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 05:41:55PM +0200, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 05:25:59PM +0200, Michael Adam wrote:
> > > I think that it is conceptually wrong to have the sssd wbclient
> > > library not with the sssd server (where it belongs) but in samba code.
> >
> > Looking back at why Gerald did libwbclient, I have to agree
> > with Michael. There are other libwbclient implementations
> > out there, living together with their respective server
> > implementations. What makes sssd different in this regard?
>
> I think it would be better for Samba long term to have
> a closer and more co-operative relationship with sssd.
>
> The other libwbclient implementations are closed source,
> sssd is a natural partner for Samba.
>
> Just my 2 cents.

Looking at the actual implementation it becomes visible that
the proposal can be made much more general: It is a generic
implementation of libwbclient on top of nsswitch:

+static bool open_libnss_sss(void)
+{
+       ctx = calloc(1, sizeof(struct nss_ops_ctx));
+       if (ctx == NULL) {
+               return false;
+       }
+
+       ctx->dl_handle = dlopen("libnss_sss.so.2", RTLD_NOW);
+       if (ctx->dl_handle == NULL) {
+               goto fail;
+       }
+
+       ctx->getpwnam_r = dlsym(ctx->dl_handle, "_nss_sss_getpwnam_r");
+       if (ctx->getpwnam_r == NULL) {
+               goto fail;
+       }

... and so on. You could easily implement the same idea on
top of libnss_winbind.

What about the following, different approach:

Implement the server side of the nsswitch and idmap related sssd protocol
calls in winbind. Then we could implement the client side of those in
a unified libwbclient_winbind_and_sssd an could also freely exchange
libnss_sss and libnss_winbind or potentially get rid of one of them. This
way the sssd protocol could become the reference for implementing nss
semantics over a local transport. Then we only have to convince the
nss_ldap people to also implement this and we're done, right? :-)

Volker

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de, mailto:kontakt at sernet.de