Patch to remove zlib.

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Fri Jul 11 07:43:55 MDT 2014

Hi Ira,

Thanks for taking this on.

On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 07:53:04AM -0400, Ira Cooper wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 4:54 AM, Volker Lendecke <Volker.Lendecke at sernet.de>
> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jul 07, 2014 at 12:46:47PM -0400, Ira Cooper wrote:
> > > Note: To apply it  unxz it then use git am --ignore-whitespace ,
> > otherwise
> > > you may have issues.  (xz was used to save the list a good bit of
> > space...
> > > it's over 500k gzipped.)
> > >
> > > As far as why: I listened to metze/vl.  I disagree with them.
> >
> > If we decide to remove zlib and make it a fixed external dependency we
> > should go the full path and apply the same to at least popt and iniparser
> > immediately. Next step then would be the wrappers, which are externally
> > maintained as well. Then after that comes our own 3 libs tdb, talloc,
> > tevent and possibly ldb. There's one big one that comes after that then,
> > but which should go as well: Heimdal. It's a slight change in policy,
> > but a valid one I guess.
>

> Actually, I have some of the code needed for the zlib removal done.  I
> think I'm missing a bit to make it conditional, for AD and the fileserver,
> but it I'm not far off.
>
> Then I have to do the waf parts etc, but still.. I'm hoping I can get it
> done today.
>
> As far as the rest of your points, I'm going to break the libraries into
> "groups" to be considered.  I personally have a line where I'll stop,
> because I think we have experience that shows where that line should be.
>
> 1. zlib, popt, iniparser, Heimdal - These libraries should be removed as
> soon as technically feasible.  The wording chosen IS intentional here.
What do you mean with technically feasible? Do you mean when it is technically
feasible to build Samba with the system version of these libraries?
That is already possible at the moment for all four.

>  Heimdal isn't possible today due to the AD DC, but when it IS possible to
> build a working AD DC without Heimdal, it no longer belongs in tree.
It already is possible to build a working AD DC without the bundled
Heimdal, using the system Heimdal. We do this for the Debian/Ubuntu packages,
and Samba has supported this for a long time.

[...]

> PS: From here on, I will be pushing to a git repo for these patches, I like
> all your e-mail boxes too much to submit another patch this size to the
> list.
Please send these to the list, so we can discuss them - at least once
they are ready for review. Watching a git repository requires polling, and
any discussion would still be on this list.

Cheers,

Jelmer