Patch to remove zlib.

Ira Cooper ira at samba.org
Fri Jul 11 07:51:40 MDT 2014

On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 9:43 AM, Jelmer Vernooij <jelmer at samba.org> wrote:

> Hi Ira,
>
> Thanks for taking this on.
>
> On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 07:53:04AM -0400, Ira Cooper wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 4:54 AM, Volker Lendecke <
> Volker.Lendecke at sernet.de>
> > wrote:

> > > otherwise
> > > space...

> > > If we decide to remove zlib and make it a fixed external dependency we
> > > should go the full path and apply the same to at least popt and
> iniparser
> > > immediately. Next step then would be the wrappers, which are externally
> > > maintained as well. Then after that comes our own 3 libs tdb, talloc,
> > > tevent and possibly ldb. There's one big one that comes after that
> then,
> > > but which should go as well: Heimdal. It's a slight change in policy,
> > > but a valid one I guess.
> >

> > Actually, I have some of the code needed for the zlib removal done.  I
> > think I'm missing a bit to make it conditional, for AD and the
> fileserver,
> > but it I'm not far off.
> >
> > Then I have to do the waf parts etc, but still.. I'm hoping I can get it
> > done today.
> >
> > As far as the rest of your points, I'm going to break the libraries into
> > "groups" to be considered.  I personally have a line where I'll stop,
> > because I think we have experience that shows where that line should be.
> >
> > 1. zlib, popt, iniparser, Heimdal - These libraries should be removed as
> > soon as technically feasible.  The wording chosen IS intentional here.
> What do you mean with technically feasible? Do you mean when it is
> technically
> feasible to build Samba with the system version of these libraries?
> That is already possible at the moment for all four.
>
> >  Heimdal isn't possible today due to the AD DC, but when it IS possible
> > build a working AD DC without Heimdal, it no longer belongs in tree.
> It already is possible to build a working AD DC without the bundled
> Heimdal, using the system Heimdal. We do this for the Debian/Ubuntu
> packages,
> and Samba has supported this for a long time.
>
> [...]
>
> > PS: From here on, I will be pushing to a git repo for these patches, I
> like
> > all your e-mail boxes too much to submit another patch this size to the
> > list.
> Please send these to the list, so we can discuss them - at least once
> they are ready for review. Watching a git repository requires polling, and
> any discussion would still be on this list.

I won't require polling, nor do I desire it, my branches should not have
work based on them, and I maintain the right to rebase them.

But I feel safe asking for reviews off them, because honestly: My mail gets
caught in moderation, and I don't want to wait 2-3 days for each mail.

git will make this more efficient.

-Ira