Mailers, mbox and patch munging

Thu Feb 20 00:03:00 MST 2014

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 11:29:57AM +1300, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > Btw: could you try to persuade your mailer to treat patch
> > attachments correctly? I.e. encode them, with quoted-printable
> > or even base64? It is always a nuicance and unneccessary to
> > have to manually edit your patch files. (This note of course
> > applies not only to you, but others as well..)
>
> I looked into this a little while back, and while I may be wrong, the
> conclusion I got was:
>  - I can't change how evolution sends the patches
>  - evolution isn't munging the patches (is is unmunged in my sent
> folder, when sent to my catalyst address and in some internet archives)
>  - whatever is writing the mail into an mbox is the issue

Have you filed a bug with Evolution? This is a defect with
that Mail User Agent then if it can't protect attachments
from being destroyed by the transport path. It would be
perfectly fine if you set Evolution to always base64 the
patches if that's the only way to fix this.

With best regards,

Volker Lendecke

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de, mailto:kontakt at sernet.de