Mailers, mbox and patch munging

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Feb 19 15:29:57 MST 2014

On Wed, 2014-02-19 at 14:19 +0100, Michael Adam wrote:

> Btw: could you try to persuade your mailer to treat patch
> attachments correctly? I.e. encode them, with quoted-printable
> or even base64? It is always a nuicance and unneccessary to
> have to manually edit your patch files. (This note of course
> applies not only to you, but others as well..)

I looked into this a little while back, and while I may be wrong, the
conclusion I got was:
 - I can't change how evolution sends the patches
 - evolution isn't munging the patches (is is unmunged in my sent
folder, when sent to my catalyst address and in some internet archives)
 - whatever is writing the mail into an mbox is the issue

One place that does write into an mbox is samba.org, from where I
fetchmail my mail spool.  I prefer to handle my mail this way (rather
than forwarding), as it remains locked up nicely behind SSH, so I get
this issue on patches I receive.

You may have a similar issue in your mail path.  For my side of things,
I've been meaning to work out if I could convert my incoming mail on
samba.org to use a maildir, for example.

http://samba.org/~abartlet/