[Samba] NT_STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_NOT_FOUND after installing the last git version

Tue Feb 18 02:57:05 MST 2014

On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 10:49:28AM +0100, Kai Blin wrote:
> The main questions raised by this issue for me are:
> * Auth code is tricky, but it does have a lot of tests. Why didn't
> they catch this
> * The last time I changed this code to support unixid-mappings
> instead of plain uid/gid-specific mappings, I made fairly similar
> changes. I still didn't catch the problem with the patches. Can the
> auth code be simplified so the implications of changing it are
> better understood?

This is a much larger topic. Unfortunately I don't have the
time *right now* to work on the issue. At some point I will
certainly come back to these patches and more thoroughly
test them before submitting immature patches for review.

Sorry for making you spend time on my broken code.

> And last but not least a more personal question about code reviews
> and reverts like this: How can we resolve things like that without
> leaving the reviewer feeling like he wasted a lot of time on a
> review? I feel silly enough not having caught the problem, but now I
> also feel like I could have just spend the time I spent on the
> review drawing fluffy pink unicorns and be more productive that way.

Review is not magic, everybody will miss things from time to
time. It happens to me, it happens to metze, it happens to
everybody. I would not feel bad about this.

The patches from my point of view were right, they did
survive autobuild, but they cause a major problem for
people. So I need to put more effort into them that *right
now* I can spend. The correct way I believe is to remove the
problem as quickly as possible to restore an operational DC
for our users again.

With best regards,

Volker Lendecke

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de, mailto:kontakt at sernet.de