cthon failure

Steve French smfrench at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 18:05:53 MDT 2014

I just tried it on recent Samba (from about a week ago) with the same results

Version 4.2.0pre1-GIT-47e7440
and also
Version 4.1.6-Ubuntu

If "store dos attributes = yes" (on by default in Ubuntu) is in smb.conf

then the following fails
mount -t cifs //someserver/someshare /mnt
touch /mnt/newfile1
chmod 0000 /mnt/newfile1
stat /mnt/newfile1   (mode displays as expected)
rm /mnt/newfile1  (fails with access denied)

if the identical scenario is tried with "store dos attributes = no" in
smb.conf then it works
mount -t cifs //someserver/someshare /mnt
touch /mnt/newfile2
chmod 0000 /mnt/newfile2
stat /mnt/newfile2  (mode displays as expected)
rm /mnt/newfile2   (delete works), and also removing the newfile1
created above also works)
rm /mnt/newfile1 (also works)

Details:
posix unlink (set path info) fails with access denied/status cannot
delete, as does subsequent smb delete.   Attempts to clear the
readonly bit also fails with access denied

The chmod 0000 causes Samba server to set the read-only dos attribute
in the failing case

--
Thanks,

Steve