Where Samba has come from and where it might be going

Jeremy McClintock jmcclintock at americannatural.com
Fri Aug 22 10:12:50 MDT 2014

So, intrigued by the subject-line, I had this email string hanging out in my box for several weeks, calling for me to read it.  And I'm very glad I finally got the time to do so!

Our company is still relatively small, but looking at a good deal of potential growth in the coming years.  We have a pretty broad geographical range (two offices & 10 stores over the Greater Pittsburgh, PA area, plus one office in NYC).  Our current server infrastructure is almost entirely cloud-based (RackSpace, but looking at migrating to AWS) running on a Resara (RIP) PDC, but over the past couple months I've been working to stand-up a brand-new, entirely cloud-based domain utilizing CentOS 6.5, Sernet-Samba 4.1, BIND 9.9.5, & ISC DHCPd.

Prior to this project, my experience with Samba management at this level was quite minimal, and the learning curve here has been huge (and awesome)!  So far I've managed to get our PDC mostly operational, and am now working hard to bring up our file/print server (just finished the "add it to the domain" stage).  Being that most of this has been entirely new for me, and being a HUGE advocate of leveraging the cloud, I'm quite enthusiastic about this opportunity!

I'm really interested in getting involved at a much deeper level, and have scoured as much as possible for any sort of training (CBT, in-person, or otherwise) with no luck.  So I'm ready to dive-in head first and just start learning as much as I can with the trial-by-fire method!  I haven't had much time to keep up with the email threads lately so I'm not sure if any of this discussion has progressed, but I was hoping that I could touch base with one (or more) of you to discuss the possibility of being able to contribute to the overall Samba Project as I work through this new infrastructure!

Any thoughts/feedback/ideas/etc. are absolutely welcome, and I look forward to hearing from you soon!

Thanks so much!

Respectfully,

Jeremy M. McClintock
Technology Operations Manager