Learning Samba development (was: Re: Where Samba has come from and where it might be going)

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Aug 24 17:50:01 MDT 2014

On Fri, 2014-08-22 at 16:12 +0000, Jeremy McClintock wrote:
> So, intrigued by the subject-line, I had this email string hanging out
> in my box for several weeks, calling for me to read it.  And I'm very
> glad I finally got the time to do so!

Welcome!

> I'm really interested in getting involved at a much deeper level, and
> have scoured as much as possible for any sort of training (CBT,
> in-person, or otherwise) with no luck.

While some things have been written - particularly Richard's work on VFS
modules, the 'dive right in' method is the primary one.  The other is
even more intense, that is finding someone to mentor you in-person.  (I
did that last summer, with Garming Sam as an intern here at Catalyst,
and I've been approved to take on another in-person intern, presumably a
local student, this NZ summer).

> So I'm ready to dive-in head first and just start learning as much as
I can with the trial-by-fire method!

The best method I can suggest remotely is to start with the many small
things that irritate you in running a Samba DC, pick on one (preferably
one in the samba-tool code, as that is python) and fix it.

Being an active part of this list, and trying out the patches folks post
(verifying metze's BIND9_DLZ changes in his DNS patch set for example)
would be a very easy way to make a quick difference.

> I haven't had much time to keep up with the email threads lately so
> I'm not sure if any of this discussion has progressed, but I was
> hoping that I could touch base with one (or more) of you to discuss
> the possibility of being able to contribute to the overall Samba
> Project as I work through this new infrastructure!

We are always looking for new contributors.  We are particularly
interested in new and different ways Samba can be used, particularly in
the Cloud, but basically we are open to any interesting and innovative
future direction.

> Any thoughts/feedback/ideas/etc. are absolutely welcome, and I look
> forward to hearing from you soon!

Finally, join us on #samba-technical on irc.freenode.net, and in general
just get stuck in.

I look forward to hearing from you,

http://samba.org/~abartlet/