connect(/var/lib/ctdb/ctdb.socket) failed: Connection refused

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Sun Aug 10 01:48:26 MDT 2014

On Sat, 2014-08-09 at 21:32 +0200, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 09, 2014 at 09:09:05PM +0200, steve wrote:
> > OK. We'll have a go but we don't hold out much hope. The default build
> > seems to have everything hard wired under /usr/local but surprisingly
> > the dbs still go to one of /var/lib/ctdb, /var/ctdb
> > or /var/lib/lib/ctdb. All three are written to if they exist.
> >
> > No one seems to know much about this. There too many words like,
> > 'probably', 'seems' and 'maybe' for our liking. I'm sure something will
> > click soon. Your fruit harvesting method seems as good a bet as any:)
> > Open Source documentation at its very best.
>
> ctdbd configures everything via command line arguments.
> ctdbd --help and "man ctdbd" should have the truth.
> Everything else is script plumbing.
>
> Volker

OK. That sounds promising. So we don't need:
 /etc/init.d/ctdb start
nor
 systemctl start ctdb
nor
 /etc/sysconfig/ctdb
or even
 /etc/default/ctdb

It seems too that cli ctdbd does away with /etc/ctdbd too although all
ctdb articles mention it. No matter. We're gonna take the 'everything'
as in:
'ctdbd configures everything via command line arguments.'
literally.

Unfortunately, none of the ctdbd defaults is set. man ctdbd(1) still has
e.g.
'--dbdir=<directory>
[...]
This directory would usually be /var/ctdb .'

We assume that this is why the distros have stepped in big time. It
looks as though every option has to be passed on the command line. There
are no defaults.

Unfortunately too, no man pages are installed from the
source ./configure, make make install. It looks like an option from
configure. We really could use some default values. I wonder if this man
page is current: http://linux.die.net/man/1/ctdbd

Anyway, we've about 8 hours of our allocated
get-it-working-on-ubuntu-or-bust time left. It's Sunday, and we've only
got ac 'till 14:00. . .