connect(/var/lib/ctdb/ctdb.socket) failed: Connection refused

Rowland Penny repenny241155 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 10 02:51:53 MDT 2014

On 10/08/14 08:48, steve wrote:
> On Sat, 2014-08-09 at 21:32 +0200, Volker Lendecke wrote:
>> On Sat, Aug 09, 2014 at 09:09:05PM +0200, steve wrote:
>>> OK. We'll have a go but we don't hold out much hope. The default build
>>> seems to have everything hard wired under /usr/local but surprisingly
>>> the dbs still go to one of /var/lib/ctdb, /var/ctdb
>>> or /var/lib/lib/ctdb. All three are written to if they exist.
>>>
>>> No one seems to know much about this. There too many words like,
>>> 'probably', 'seems' and 'maybe' for our liking. I'm sure something will
>>> click soon. Your fruit harvesting method seems as good a bet as any:)
>>> Open Source documentation at its very best.
>> ctdbd configures everything via command line arguments.
>> ctdbd --help and "man ctdbd" should have the truth.
>> Everything else is script plumbing.
>>
>> Volker
>>
> OK. That sounds promising. So we don't need:
>   /etc/init.d/ctdb start
> nor
>   systemctl start ctdb
> nor
>   /etc/sysconfig/ctdb
> or even
>   /etc/default/ctdb
>
> It seems too that cli ctdbd does away with /etc/ctdbd too although all
> ctdb articles mention it. No matter. We're gonna take the 'everything'
> as in:
> 'ctdbd configures everything via command line arguments.'
> literally.
>
> Unfortunately, none of the ctdbd defaults is set. man ctdbd(1) still has
> e.g.
> '--dbdir=<directory>
> [...]
> This directory would usually be /var/ctdb .'
>
> We assume that this is why the distros have stepped in big time. It
> looks as though every option has to be passed on the command line. There
> are no defaults.
>
> Unfortunately too, no man pages are installed from the
> source ./configure, make make install. It looks like an option from
> configure. We really could use some default values. I wonder if this man
> page is current: http://linux.die.net/man/1/ctdbd
>
> Anyway, we've about 8 hours of our allocated
> get-it-working-on-ubuntu-or-bust time left. It's Sunday, and we've only
> got ac 'till 14:00. . .

Hi Steve, the problem with going the way that you are proposing, is that
you will have to remember the start command and input it every time you
start ctdb, also how do you stop or restart ctdb easily. The idea, with
init scripts and conf files, is that everything is remembered for you
and you just need to remember how to run the init script.

I would have thought it would be fairly easy to work out any mods that
would be required to the init script & conf files from the ubuntu ctdb
package, it might be a bit time consuming based on the number of files
in the /etc dir in the package, but I personally think that it would be
well worth it, if you are going to use ctdb on Ubuntu long term.

Rowland