Recent changes to autorid (was Re: [SCM] Samba Shared Repository - branch master updated)

Simo simo at samba.org
Mon Apr 28 11:50:24 MDT 2014

On Mon, 2014-04-28 at 09:42 -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 06:10:51PM +0200, Michael Adam wrote:
> >
> > autorid currently only has ranges of a fixed size
> > ("idmap config * : rangesize = ...").
> > And, by "people", do you mean the developers?
> > We don't have a configuration means to create a range
> > for the wellknown sids, currently.
>
> As these SIDs are wellknown, and aren't going to
> change (only expand as Microsoft adds more), can't
> we just cut out a fixed area of say 500 id's and
> have hardcoded mappings for these ?
>
> If that range has already been used in someone's
> config, we refuse to start, and provide a mechanism
> for them to remap.
>
> A bit dramatic, but very simple.

I thought of something like this too, but was wary of proposing due to
how "radical" it is, but I tend to agree it makes the most sense to me.

Michael,
your comments also make sense, I did forgot ranges cannot be changed in
autorid, that makes your patches less controversial, but still I think
there are better ways, for example what Jeremy proposes here.

Simo.