Need for cleanup of idle winbindd child processes...

Thu Apr 24 08:51:03 MDT 2014

On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 06:18:06PM +0000, Ravindra Channabasappa wrote:
> Volker,
>
> Attached is the patch (git diff of master) that has code
> to make child winbindd processes exit if they are idle.
> If the request queue in the child is empty then the child
> gracefully exits.
>
> This really helps in cases where the setup has many
> trusted domains.  It lets us use the 'max connections per
> domain' parameter more freely, I mean without worrying too
> much about the many idle winbindd processes.

Does this really work as expected? From a quick glance I get
the impression that the exit handler is called in the child.
The queue however is only maintained in the parent. The
effect would be that even a fully busy child will exit after
the event triggered, in the child it does not see whether
the parent still has work for it.

Have you tried if a busy child does *not* exit?

Volker

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de, mailto:kontakt at sernet.de