Samba 4 and Profile directory issues.

"David González Herrera - [DGHVoIP]" info at dghvoip.com
Tue May 28 17:43:56 MDT 2013

Hi Ricky,

Thank you very much for your reply, I dropped my subscription to the
list because no one seems to care about these questions in there, then I
guess what's that list for if they won't answer or at least point people
to a link that won't take 30secs, well anyways....

On 5/28/2013 4:44 PM, Ricky Nance wrote:
> First think you should check is to see if winbind is setup properly
> (resolving names in Ubuntu as it should be) if not, have a look at
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/Winbind#Using_libnss_winbind (section
> 2 is the important one, section 3 is if you need *nix to authenticate
> using samba).
Ok, did all of these steps and everything seems to work, except that I
can't login to the *nix box (ubuntu Serevr 12.04) using the AD users but
system users can, that's good :)

> A quick test would be mkdir /home/test && chown someADuser /home/test
> && ls -alhd /home/test (replace someADuser with one of your AD users).
> If that is working as expected, then the user you are logged into
> windows with may not have permissions to write to your Users share, if
> both of those are good, paste your [users] section of your smb.conf
> and we will go from there.
This worked fine indeed,

root at samba:~# mkdir /home/test && chown dominic /home/test && ls -alhd
/home/test
drwxr-xr-x 2 MUNDO\dominic root 4.0K May 29 01:34 /home/test

My smb.conf looks like this:

root at samba:~# cat /usr/local/samba/etc/smb.conf
# Global parameters
[global]
         workgroup = MUNDO
         realm = mundo.local
         netbios name = SAMBA
         server services = s3fs, rpc, nbt, wrepl, ldap, cldap, kdc,
drepl, winbind, ntp_signd, kcc, dnsupdate
         template shell  = /bin/bash

         # Debug logging information
         log level       = 4
         log file        = /var/log/samba.log
         max log size    = 50
         debug timestamp = yes
         bind interfaces only = yes
         interfaces      = eth1
         wins support    = yes

[users]
         directory_mode: parameter = 0700
         path            = /home
         comment         = Users Home Share
         read only       = no
         browsable       = yes

[profiles]
         path            = /usr/local/samba/var/profiles
         browseable      = no
         read only       = no
         writable        = yes
         store dos attributes = Yes
         directory mask  = 0700
         create mask     = 0600
         printable       = no
         profile acls    = yes
         csc policy      = disable

[netlogon]
         path = /usr/local/samba/var/locks/sysvol/mundo.local/scripts
         read only = No

[sysvol]
         read only = No

Thanks again.

> Ricky
>

> On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 7:50 PM, "David González Herrera - [DGHVoIP]"
> <info at dghvoip.com <mailto:info at dghvoip.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi List,
>
>     I've been using S4 for some time now and I'm deploying it on our
>     company, I'm using it as backend auth for many of our services,
>     OpenVPN*AS, GroupOffice, Openfire and some others and it works
>     like a charm.
>
>     Now I want to tell you what I'm facing, I have a Win7 running the
>     AD admin. too and I can see everything users, groups all, I've
>     created a dozen users and I want them to have a home directory but
>     when I try to do that from the admin control tools and on the
>     profile tab I input \\10.10.10.5\Users\%username% and I see no
>     errors and the weirdest thing si thatwhen I browse the Users share
>     on the server I see the directory, can write to it, create
>     directories, files etc; but the directory is not created on the
>     physical server which has my head spinning, might this be a bug,
>     or something I'm doing wrong.
>
>     Samba Version
>     Version 4.1.0pre1-GIT-1a7bd5e
>
>     Linux Version
>     root at samba:~# uname -a
>     Linux samba 3.5.0-30-generic #51~precise1-Ubuntu SMP Wed May 15
>     08:48:19 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
>     Everything was done as per the Samba4 wiki, sorry if this has been
>     answered before and if you can please refer me to the proper
>     thread so I can see if I can solve the issue.
>
>     Thanks for a great project.
>
>     Cheers.

---
David