About the SMB error codes.

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Tue May 21 10:52:23 MDT 2013

On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 04:13:19PM +0000, Tayade, Nilesh wrote:
> Thanks Chris.
> In my case, I received STATUS_INVALID_DEVICE_REQUEST error. The communication still goes on the same socket after the error is reported.
> So can I treat this as non-FATAL error? How do I evaluate the context where errors will be treated as FALAL/Critical ones?

This is where it becomes necessary to study the Microsoft documentation.
You may have gotten that error because you were trying to do more than one
thing (lots of the SMB calls do more than one thing).  Find out which
message returned the error, and then look at the documentation for that
call (both in section 2 and section 3).  Start with [MS-CIFS] and/or
[MS-SMB] if you are working with SMBv1.  SMBv2 and V3 are documented in
[MS-SMB2].

Chris -)-----