About the SMB error codes.

Tayade, Nilesh Nilesh.Tayade at netscout.com
Tue May 21 21:56:54 MDT 2013

Thanks Chris.
I looked into the MS-CIFS documentation. In my case the STATUS_INVALID_DEVICE_REQUEST error is generated for NT-TRANS request with IOCTL subcommand.
But in MS-CIFS documentation, the error codes list for NT-TRANS command with IOCTL subcommand doesn't show the STATUS_INVALID_DEVICE_REQUEST error.
What's wrong?

Please refer the attached pcap file with 2 SMB packets. The IOCTL is being performed on some file system resource.
And the IOCTL parameters show 'Unknown' function. Could this be the reason of error? Could this happen because of incompatibility of Windows versions?

> Chris -)-----
[...]

--
Thanks,