Cannot see the domain controller

bogdan_bartos admin at blackpenguin.org
Fri May 17 08:56:21 MDT 2013

Correct. I am running a Samba 4 AD DC. I cannot see the machine in Widows 7
Pro when I browse to network. I can only see if I put the \\PDC or
\\PDC.BLACKPENGUIN.ORG in the address bar. Then I see the file shares and
they are browse-able, but the PDC machine does not advertise itself on the
LAN. Otherwise, it would show up.

In Fedora 18, in Nautilus, I have no address bar and I cannot type the
machine name. The shares do show up if I run smbclient, but it looks like
the same issue Windows experiences. In Nautilus in Gnome3, I do not have the
file menu either. It was present in Gnome2.

If I have a NetBIOS issue, how can I make the DC advertise it's presence?
The ports are open. Did something fail during the building from source of
samba 4 that can prevent this? Has anyone seen this behavior on samba4? Is
this a security "feature" of samba4?