Building Samba >= 3.5.21 on FreeBSD 4.11

C.J. Adams-Collier KF7BMP cjac at colliertech.org
Mon Mar 18 17:55:21 MDT 2013

Hello folks,

I am attempting to build a relatively recent release of samba3 on
FreeBSD 4.11.

The first problem I've run in to is that it seems samba depends on the
statvfs() system call, which FreeBSD 4.11 does not implement.  I've dug
a bit through the configure.in script and determined that there is a
#define in include/config.h which is only set when the system has a
sys/statvfs.h header file.  However, include/libsmbclient.h does not
check #ifdef HAVE_SYS_STATVFS_H before either including sys/statvfs.h or
making calls to the statvfs() system call.

Would it be reasonable to stub out or implement a subset of
sys/statvfs.h and statvfs() in user space so that I can get this code to
compile?  We have a number of systems still running 4.11 which we need
to support in our migration from NIS to Active Directory.

Is there a less complicated way to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance,

C.J.