A curious tale of Samba 3.6.6, 3.6.12, and W2K08R2 when an OpLock break occurs on a compound request

Richard Sharpe realrichardsharpe at gmail.com
Tue Mar 12 20:52:40 MDT 2013

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 6:10 PM, Richard Sharpe
<realrichardsharpe at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I have been investigating a bug that was interesting. An AFP proxy
> running on Windows was causing smbd to crash. This was with 3.6.6+.
>
> After I got the log files it became obvious that the problem was with
> the handling of OpLock breaks in a compound request.
>
> So, I wrote a little the smbtorture program to test this with the
> following result:
>
> Samba 3.6.6 crashes, as expect.
> Samba 3.6.12 returns STATUS_CANCELLED and then STATUS_FILE_CLOSED (but
> does not crash.)
> W2K08 Returns STATUS_PENDING and then drops the connection.
>
> I wonder how the proxy deals with the W2K08 behavior?

A further observation. Samba 3..6.12 actually sends out an OpLock
break, but then responds with CANCELLED because it cannot handle an
OpLock break in the middle of a compound request. I suspect Windows
drops the connection because it cannot handle the OpLock break
processing in the middle of a compound request.

I wonder what W2K12 does. I guess I will try it tomorrow.

--
Regards,
Richard Sharpe