A curious tale of Samba 3.6.6, 3.6.12, and W2K08R2 when an OpLock break occurs on a compound request

Richard Sharpe realrichardsharpe at gmail.com
Tue Mar 12 19:10:46 MDT 2013

Hi folks,

I have been investigating a bug that was interesting. An AFP proxy
running on Windows was causing smbd to crash. This was with 3.6.6+.

After I got the log files it became obvious that the problem was with
the handling of OpLock breaks in a compound request.

So, I wrote a little the smbtorture program to test this with the
following result:

Samba 3.6.6 crashes, as expect.
Samba 3.6.12 returns STATUS_CANCELLED and then STATUS_FILE_CLOSED (but
does not crash.)
W2K08 Returns STATUS_PENDING and then drops the connection.

I wonder how the proxy deals with the W2K08 behavior?

--
Regards,
Richard Sharpe