Samba 3.6 vs 4.0, and packaging.

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Jun 24 05:22:56 MDT 2013

On Mon, 2013-06-24 at 11:34 +0100, Rowland Penny wrote:
> Hi
> I don't think that a 4.0.6 file server is any different from an S3
> fileserver, it is the same code, isn't it?

No, while the file server code in Samba 4.0 is based on the Samba 3.6
code, it isn't the same thing, it is the current supported evolution of
that code.  Samba 4.1 likewise continues to evolve that code.

> The problem at the moment is that all the S4 packages available seem to be
> broken to some extent or other. This needs to be sorted out sooner rather
> than later or Samba will have to do an XP and extend the maintenance of 3.6.

Samba releases are already supported for 27 months, I don't see any need
to extend that.

Packaging Samba is not our responsibility, but members of the team work
with and for a number of vendors, and the situation is improving -
Debian will shortly have experimental (and then unstable) packages for
Samba 4.0, which someone will presumably also backport.  SerNet provides
packages in exchange for a registration, and Fedora included Samba 4.0
(but not DC) packages ever since Samba 4.0 was released.