OS X 10.9 Maverick

George K Colley gcolley at apple.com
Tue Jun 18 16:38:16 MDT 2013

On Jun 18, 2013, at 9:40 AM, Ralph Böhme <rb at netafp.com> wrote:

> Hi George,
>
> Am 18.06.2013 um 17:49 schrieb George K Colley <gcolley at apple.com>:
>
>> On Jun 18, 2013, at 7:30 AM, Ralph Böhme <rb at netafp.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi everybody,
>>>
>>> Apple is moving to SMB2 as the default filesharing protocol in it's next OS X incarnation 10.9 Maverick:
>>> <http://www.afp548.com/2013/06/11/smb2-and-you-saying-goodbye-to-afp-in-os-x-mavericks/>
>>>
>>> Network traces reveal interesting stuff:
>>> * is searching remote SMB2 volumes supported (aka Spotlight) ? Hint: the AFP network command is called FPSpotlight*RPC*
>> Mac to Mac SMB has support Spotlight since OS X 10.7, there is nothing new here.
>
> ah, I missed that being busy reverse engineering and implementing Spotlight w AFP/Netatalk.
>
>>> * in which format is OS X specific stuff (FinderInfo, Ressource Fork) sent across the wire ?
>> We have always supported FinderInfo and Resource forks using the Named Streams or with dot underbar files, depending in the server support.
>
> I know, but I imagine things may break at subtle points, e.g. some applications and file formats still use resource forks larger then what fits into an extended attribute (vfs objectt streams_xattr). I'm also looking into compatibility issues on volumes that have been accessed or are accessed in parallel with Netatalk/AFP.

If the remote server supports NTFS Name Streams then that should not be an issue, since NTFS Name Streams support the same size as a file.
If the remote server doesn't support Name Streams then this data is stored in the famous and ugly dot underbar file. Which is handle by OS X.

So I am not sure why this should be an issue. If NTFS Name Streams is support then SMB handles resource forks the same as AFP from the client side.

George