A curious tale about taking ten minutes to open an AutoCAD drawing file ...

Richard Sharpe realrichardsharpe at gmail.com
Tue Jun 11 19:45:12 MDT 2013

Hi folks,

I wonder if anyone has seen this before.

Yesterday I got a capture where AutoCAD was being used. It took ten
minutes to open a 1.5MB drawing file. In looking at the capture, that
seemed to be because something was trying to find lots of shx files
and not finding them.

We see the drawing file read in very quickly and as soon as that
completes we see a firestorm of GET PATH INFO requests for shx file
and other files (like AutoCAD lsp files etc) for 604 seconds. They
mostly all fail and then there are GET PATH INFO requests for the
components of the path of these shx files as well.

I surmise that the problem is that their Virus Scanner is pretty
stupid. It is called Vipre Business Premium.

Has anyone seen something similar?

--
Regards,
Richard Sharpe