A curious tale about taking ten minutes to open an AutoCAD drawing file ...

Günter Kukkukk linux at kukkukk.com
Tue Jun 11 20:11:49 MDT 2013

Am Mittwoch, 12. Juni 2013, 03:45:12 schrieb Richard Sharpe:
> Hi folks,
>
> I wonder if anyone has seen this before.
>
> Yesterday I got a capture where AutoCAD was being used. It took ten
> minutes to open a 1.5MB drawing file. In looking at the capture, that
> seemed to be because something was trying to find lots of shx files
> and not finding them.
>
> We see the drawing file read in very quickly and as soon as that
> completes we see a firestorm of GET PATH INFO requests for shx file
> and other files (like AutoCAD lsp files etc) for 604 seconds. They
> mostly all fail and then there are GET PATH INFO requests for the
> components of the path of these shx files as well.
>
> I surmise that the problem is that their Virus Scanner is pretty
> stupid. It is called Vipre Business Premium.
>
> Has anyone seen something similar?

Hi Richard,

about 20 years ago - when i had to work with OS/2 installations -
we often noticed virus scanners being able to "bring a network down".

We (often) solved it by running a virus scanner on the server -
as usual.

The desktop systems - running a virus scanner, too (if so) - were _not_ allowed
to scan network connections at all! (Which is always a mess)

Cheers, Günter