Ideas? Can one avoid an NBT query when connecting to a DC?

Mon Jul 29 02:01:13 MDT 2013

On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 01:55:46AM -0400, Gordon Ross wrote:
> I have an unusual deployment, which is a specialized configuration,
> the details of which I won't bother getting into, except to say that
> Samba needs to use "RPC style join", and it can't reliably get UDP
> traffic from the domain controller.  Currently, this breaks the NBT
> name query performed here:
>   source3/libsmb/namequery.c : name_status_find()
>
> Here's the call stack leading up to that:
>   net_make_ipc_connection
>    net_make_ipc_connection_ex
>     net_find_server
>      name_status_find
>       node_status_query
>
> I've setup an lmhosts file telling Samba the IP address of a
> domain controller, and the above code finds that OK, but
> still tries to do a UDP port 137 query to the DC, and that
> never gets a response, so node_status_query gives an
> error which bubbles up to the "net rpc join".
> (No, this env can't use AD-style join.)
>
> After looking at name_status_find, I see that it checks
> the cache first.  I wonder if there might be a way to
> stuff a lookup result into that cache.  Anyone know?
> Or any other ideas for getting around that NBT query?

net cache add 'NBT/SAMBA-WG#1B.20.10.0.3.189' 'FOOBAR' 1w

puts in an entry for a DC for domain SAMBA-WG at ip address
10.0.3.189 to be named FOOBAR, cached for one week. A bit
weird format, but that might help for you.

Volker

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de, mailto:kontakt at sernet.de