Samba4 Crashes + Port 445 Connections to Itself

kraker kraker at delphinus.com
Fri Jul 12 08:58:12 MDT 2013

I am at a loss here. I have built probably 15-20 samba4 servers throughout
testing and it seems like each build had some sort of issue, whether the
same or not. On the last 5 or 6 builds (both on CentOS and Ubuntu), I have
had a hard time with some of the processes crashing. On some of the builds,
such as the current one, I have had extremely poor performance. More on each
issue below.

Current Build: 4.0.5
Current OS: Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS

Crashing
------------
This "crash" seems to normally happen when I connect to the server from a
Win7 machine and use the server management tools. It might happen in one
minute, it might take 20, but it usually always happens. If I solely manage
the server from a shell, everything runs fine.

On the windows side, it normally tells me the RPC service is unavailable. On
the server side, I can normally see if it has crashed by running smbclient
or wbinfo commands - they result in an "nt_status_connection_disconnected"
error. I don't see much in the logs, but here are a few things from the
samba log:

Terminating connection - 'wbsrv_call_loop: tstream_read_pdu_blob_recv()
- NT_STATUS_CONNECTION_DISCONNECTED'

/source4/smbd/service_stream.c:63(stream_terminate_connection)
Terminating connection - 'NT_STATUS_CONNECTION_DISCONNECTED'

status                   : NT_STATUS_OK
result                   : NT_STATUS_OK
client_revision          : LSA_CLIENT_REVISION_2 (2)
result                   : NT_STATUS_OK
Terminating connection - 'NT_STATUS_CONNECTION_DISCONNECTED'
single_terminate: reason[NT_STATUS_CONNECTION_DISCONNECTED]
Terminating connection - 'wbsrv_call_loop: tstream_read_pdu_blob_recv() -
NT_S
single_terminate: reason[wbsrv_call_loop: tstream_read_pdu_blob_recv() -
NT_ST
Terminating connection - 'wbsrv_call_loop: tstream_read_pdu_blob_recv() -
NT_S
 single_terminate: reason[wbsrv_call_loop: tstream_read_pdu_blob_recv() -
NT_ST

Poor Performance
--------------------------
On a couple of the builds, such as the current one, I have had extremely
poor performance copying files, creating files, deleting files, etc. It
might take a minute or two for an empty folder to delete on a Windows share,
or it may never actually delete. Even if I right-click on the file, it often
says "not responding". When I do so, if I take a look at netstat, the Samba
server makes port 445 connections from itself, to itself over and over. For
example, if I right click on one of the folders on the share, while it is
"thinking" about doing something, I can see port 445 connections being
established until it stops thinking about doing something. it might open 20,
50, 100 connections. If I do it again, it keeps doing the same thing until
it reaches 499 connections, at which time it doesn't open anymore.

If I try to copy a file to a share (even <1MB), it sometimes takes several
minutes and will take a minute or more to calculate before it actually
starts copying. When I look at tcpdump at the connections from the member to
the server, the packet sizes vary drastically. I am not sure if this is
normal or not. For example:
length (size)SMB-over-TCP packet:(raw data or continuation?)
where (size) equals 239, 112, 84, 138, 156, 108, 100, 276, 84, 72, etc, etc

If you need any config files or any other input/output, please let me know.
I did not want to put a ton of unnecessary info in here. Thank you in
advance.

Kory